Friday, October 9, 2009

The First Month.


I survived the first month in Berlin!

God told me before I left the States not to worry about learning German, that it would come naturally. I was given the peace to dive in, head first, into the unknown. I would also know what to do, and I would just have to listen to my intuition.

After one month in Germany, I created a network of professionals in the operatic field. I had publicity in the local newspapers, including an article devoted to me, translated as "Opera Singer with Heart". It told the story of how I sang for a woman's mother who had alzheimers. She remembered the singing for two whole days. It brought the family great joy. We are now good friends. The experience itself was a great reward but then she told the press about the experience....



This week commences my daily German lessons at the Volkshochschule. For three hours a day, I participate in a class of approximately fifteen people that come from all around the world. Our class has representatives from Ethiopia, Moldavia, Ukraine, Vietnam, Portugal, Spain, Australia, England, Albania, Italy and me from the US. I am already able to have a conversation in German. I do not understand everything and I can only speak in the present tense but I am able to get along quite well with the patient, slow speaking Germans. This is about 15% or less of the population but I manage to find them!

After four lessons with Janet Williams, I already see great improvement with my voice. We are focusing almost entirely on the middle voice and connecting the registers. I have been able to practice (aloud) for one hour a day. I go to the library for the allotted two hours a week, a nearby church and a piano repair shop. I befriend Albay, a piano refurbisher from Turkey. He also set me up with an interview at the Turkish Music School to be a piano teacher. Unbelievably, I was hired. Unfortunately, I only had one student to start with and the pay was minimal. I had to decline the job. I think the time is better spent looking for a more stable, better paying job.

Every Monday night, there is an aria night organized by a small opera company entitled "Berlin International Opera". Every first Friday of the month, my voice teacher holds a masterclass in her home. In November, she is organizing a masterclass given by David Jones (my teacher's teacher). Plans are to see one opera performance a week. Tomorrow, I will go on a guided tour of the Deutsche Oper (auf Deutsch).
 
Expenses with no job? Money is quickly fleeting but I have peace. I know God will provide. I am doing everything I can to get to the next step: a Fest contract in Berlin (weekly voice lessons, daily German classes, masterclasses, researching opera houses, meeting other singers). I have been on three job interviews, as well. The Turkish Music School, and two job placement centers (Prima Job and mise en place). Prima Job gave me the run around. Mise en place told me I need to speak German better. I was told to come back in 3months, after being able to speak better. They also gave me four other leads for jobs right now.

Ideally, I would survive on sponsorship, foundations and grants until I was able to manage singing opportunities. I already received a small grant and sponsorship from various donors before coming to Europe. Currently, I am awaiting a check from a donor in NYC. I will seek other sources, as well. If anyone has any leads, please let me know! I will also be keeping my eye out for catering jobs. A weekend job that would allow me time during the week to perfect the craft and learn German would be fantastic.

I am focused on the NOW. I speak both German and Italian practically everyday. When not practicing, I am researching opera houses, learning the city and searching for a good winter coat. I will have to add a pair of shoes to the list. I just broke my only pair of real shoes. They lasted a good 7yrs, so I can't complain. I can still manage with them until I find a new pair. Wintercoat, presentable walking shoes, winter shoes and a wallet. Yup, my favorite wallet broke too. It was perfect. Compact, zipper for cash and cards, zipper for change and small enough to fit into my pocket. It's near impossible to find but I am on the search.




I also have a few friends! I have a list of about  twenty people I know in Berlin. My list started with people from Perleberg and grew from there. I met a lot of people at events. There are three main internet sites I've used to find events: Lemon Town, ToyTownGermany.com and Meetup.com. Those groups have led me to hiking outside of Berlin, an Oscar nominated Short Film screening, language exchange at a bar and a meeting of creative minds at a restaurant. Pamphlets are another great resource. I am constantly on the lookout for upcoming lectures, performances and events of all kinds. Many churches have cafes and music. I went to one called CafeNiko for a jazz duo and it led to my first evening speaking auf Deutsch.

The greatest part of this adventure is that I am inspiring others while realizing my dreams. I am traveling, speaking different languages and perfecting the craft. Receiving emails from friends and acquaintances telling me that my story is inspiring them in some way or another in their lives is incredible. I look forward to sharing some special moments I have experienced.....coming soon.

Love and Blessings,
Tara

1 comment:

  1. Tara,

    I am so proud of you! I miss your hugs. I hope al lof your dreams come true on this fantastic journey.

    XOXO
    ~Yvonne

    Ich Liebe Dich!

    ReplyDelete