Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Taste of Berlin





     It is a perfect Berlin day. I left my cold yet naturally bright apartment, where I watered the plants on the balcony, sang happy birthday to my roommate, walked past the beautiful Heilig-Kirche across Zossenerstrasse, through the park and arrived at my most prized location, the Bibliotek. It is a large library with a separate music wing. Computers are available for internet at 30min intervals or for watching DVD/VHS, and there is a practice room with 2 upright pianos and even a place to lie down!

     Currently, I am sitting on the lawn infront of the library, resting my eyes from entirely too much reliance on the computer (mostly preparing my CV). The sun is beating on my back, comforting my body with necessary warmth. I fear the cold days are entirely too soon to come. But for now, I enjoy walking for hours to different locations, riding my new bike- the bike I bought at the Sonntag Flomarkt, originally 50€ but I was able to haggle down to 40€. He was a hard sell. it was one of the best fleamarkets I've ever been to. Used and new, tiny and large and lots of people. I also purchased a keyboard (with case), which I was able to bargain down from 40 to 25€, plus a black, H&M velvet jacket for 2€! That day, I bought a day pass on the U Bahn, one of the best run subway systems in the world (so they say...I'll let you know. I haven't used it much).

     Not everything is cheap. I took the Ubahn to the Gallerie, as well. This is like Macys in Manhattan or the Smithaven Mall on Long Island. There are many floors connected by escalators, housing mostly clothing. I went specifically to find a winter coat. I found some great styles for outrageous prices. Not too unlike that of NY. Coats from 150-400€, which is about 225-600 USD. I am left still in search of a good winter coat (that can withstand lots of snow and rain). I am hoping to find a really nice used one at one of these great fleamarkets that happen all the time. Tuesaday and Friday along the canal near my apartment, many Sunday locations and many more for me to discover.

 
     I am very blessed to have an apartment. This is all thanks to Georg, the german teacher from Perleberg. He lives in Kreuzberg (where I now am). He helped me get an apartment, learn german and many other necessities of getting around in a new city. He is extremely helpful and just an all-around amazing person. He is married to Einat, an opera singer from Tel Aviv, Israel. She is also a wonderful person. Last week, they hosted me and my roomie for a breakfast of fruits (grapes and plums are really big in germany--everytime we had a concert they would feed us green and purple grapes with plums...the plums are very good), French toast, coffee, tea, juice, and conversation. Tonight we will meet again for Gabriel's birthday. We will meet along the canal (one of the many in Berlin). However, this bridge along the canal is where many young people gather at night to play guitar, drink and be social. We will each bring something small to offer and sing for Gabriel. The pathways along the canal are very special. You can ride your bike, walk, sit on a bench or in the grass. People always gather on the grass - from young and old, from many different ethnicities and all in harmony.


     I find the key to Berlin is the harmony. There is an acceptance of people and things unlike any I have ever experience (be it in the United States, Canada, Venezuela, Italy, Perleberg, Hamburg, or Switzerland). I am not afraid to walk alone at night. Men do not stare or whistle when a woman walks by. The homeless ask for change and may linger but never act disruptive or angry (not yet anyway). Tattoes alongside veils, businessmen on bikes and everyone (not everyone but more likely than not) waiting at the crosswalk for the signal change- whether or not there is traffic in sight. There is and are everywhere graffiti on buildings, a bicycle covered in mud, upside down with candles as an impromptu art exhibit in the park, guitar strumming and songs on the grass day and night. There are people working to live rather than living to work.

     I hope the honeymoon with Berlin never dies. I decided to go cold-turkey with English in my pursuit to speak German. I have my first private german class tomorrow. Pray I find a job, my voice improves and everything falls into line with ease.

     My love to you all and thank you so much for your encouragement. you have no idea how you strengthen me.

 
Love and Blessings! 






1 comment:

  1. I felt like I was right there with you...think about writing a book while you're at it ;-) Miss you like crazy! I'm praying for you, keep up the good work sweetheart! :-)

    xoxo-Robin

    ReplyDelete